| | Client FTP | Site Map |
Sustainable Development Strategies

The Historic Wroe-Bustin house's exterior was restored from 1996-1998Tesoros Trading Company

The 1893 Wroe-Bustin House is sited on a gently sloping lot west of the central business district of Austin, Texas at 504 Baylor St. The two-story, balloon-frame, Queen Anne-influenced house displays a classical, wrap-around veranda on two sides. Facing east toward the historic Caldwell Treaty Oak in an older, now largely commercial neighborhood, the house retains its character to a degree now rare in downtown Austin.

The Wroe-Bustin House is named for its builders, W.T. and Bursheba Wroe, and the four generations of the Bustin Family who occupied the house from 1918 to 1994. The Wroe-Bustin House has grown in importance considerably with the demolition or defacing of contemporaneous houses. One of fewer than 200 buildings in Austin more then 100 years old, the property is also distinguished by its balloon framing. Examples of this construction type are increasingly rare due to their susceptibility to fire. While in a mid-block location, the house has special visual prominence because of its sitting opposite Treaty Oak and its small park, the site of pilgrimages of both Austinites and tourists.

The owner chose historically correct colors for the exterior façadeJonathan Williams, owner of Tesoros Trading Company, purchased the historic Wroe-Bustin House in 1996. Unfortunately, the house was in a dismal state of disrepair and Williams decided to restore the building and have it registered on the National Register of Historic Places. Williams planned to use the restored building as office and warehouse space for Tesoros Trading Company.

Earthly Ideas provided various project management services from 1996 – 2001 to Jonathan Williams and Tesoros Trading Company. Services included overseeing the exterior carpentry repair, window restoration, and painting of the historic home; managing the application for registration with the National Historic Register through the Texas Historical Commission; shepherding a subdivision/lot consolidation and phased site plan through the City of Austin’s site development process; and administering development of architectural plans for a new warehouse on the site. Due to lead paint on the structure, Earthly Ideas supervised the special handling procedures for the removal of the toxic paint and exposure/contamination prevention.